Introduction of SMA
The Sarawak Manufacturers' Association (SMA) is an independent organisation established on 20th February 1963 in Kuching under the Societies Act, 1966.
SMA members are drawn from all categories of manufacturing industries including Battery Manufacturing, Tyre Retreading, Cable, Electronic, Electrical Appliance, Sawmilling, Carpentry, Food, Beverage, Mechanical, Metal Industry, Paper Products, Printing, Paint, Plastic Products, Tile, Brick, Pottery, Roofing, Cement, Concrete Masonry, Transport Equipment etc. from Kuching, Samarahan, Sibu, Miri, Bintulu and Serian divisions. The SMA has 200 member manufacturers which represent a combined investment of about RM2,000 million employing some 60,000 workforces. The SMA is the largest representative body of manufacturing companies in Sarawak.
The Objectives of SMA (Revised 1999)
- to promote, preserve and protect the interests of manufacturers in Sarawak.
- to encourage co-operation among manufacturers, between manufacturers and the government, and between manufacturers and other business sectors.
- to co-operate with and present to the authorities the views of its members on legislation, existing or proposed, that may affect the interest and standing of manufacturers in Sarawak.
- to promote the marketing of Sarawak-made products and services at home and abroad.
- to provide a focal point for manufacturers to meet, discuss and solve common problems.
- to promote productivity and technological upgrading of the manufacturing industry.
- to purchase and exchange books, newspapers, periodicals and other publications for reference purposes.
- to print, issue and disseminate information that will be useful and educational to manufacturers with prior approval of the relevant authorities.
- to work and co-operate whenever desirable to affiliate with other organizations both nationally and internationally devoted to the same or similar objects as the SMA.
- to organize and participate in congresses, conference, seminars and other meetings at local, national, regional and international levels.
SMA Council Members 2018 -2020
- President: Mr. Joseph Lau Ka Hoo (Trans Paint Coatings Sdn Bhd)
- Vice-President: Madam Mariana Ung Siew Chin (Syarikat Kion Hoong Cooking Oil Mills Sdn Bhd)
- Vice-President: Mr. Sim Cho Phong (Pico Food Industry Sdn Bhd)
- Secretary-General: Mr. Stephen Hii Hium Ung (Kayusar Sdn Bhd)
- Deputy Secretary-General: Mr. Stephen Ang Teck Chai (Kim Hin Industry Berhad)
- Treasurer: Mr. Tie Tung Wei (Kohup Industries Sdn Bhd)
- Assistant Treasurer: Mr. Stephen Ung Yuk Woo (Sin Cheong Plastic & Metal Wares Manufacturing Co Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Lau Tiong Ing (Skill Offset Printers Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Madam Rita Ting Leng Ping (Sundrop Fruit Juices Berhad)
- Council Member: Mr. Stanley Lau Ka Ping (Li Nguon Bricks Factory Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Victor Hii Lu Thian (ASTEEL Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Ng Mong Kia (Chenson Health Products Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Thomas Wong Ing Siu (Poh Yong Tiles Industries Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Tuan Haji Zaidi Ahmad (SCIB Concrete Manufacturing Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Chai Tze Bui (Mui Hiong Foodstuff Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Peter Chai Mui Seng (Hornbill Paints Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Louis Hii Lu Yik (Yung Kong Metal Works Co Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Chong Swee Sin (CMS Resources Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Mr. Desmond Cheng Hwa Tang (Summer Pacific Sdn Bhd)
- Council Member: Madam Rebecca Sim (Polyflow Pipes Sdn Bhd)