THIS IS SARAWAK BUSINESS EVENTS ASSOCIATION
SBE is the key industry association to promote business events primarily within Sarawak and Malaysia in general. One of its mission is to promote Business Events activities inclusive of Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, Exhibitions (MICE) especially through education and training of her Members particularly and the wider industry in general. “A Business event is defined as any public or private activity consisting of a minimum of 15 persons with a common interest or vocation, held in a specific venue or venues, and hosted by an organisation (or organisations). This may include (but not limited to): conferences, conventions, symposia, congresses, incentive group events, marketing events, special celebrations, seminar, courses, public or trade shows, product launches, exhibitions, company general meetings, corporate retreats, study tours or training programs. The demand for a business event is driven mainly by organisations choosing it as a forum to communicate messages, to educate or train, to promote a product, to reward or celebrate, to collaborate on issues and solutions, or to generate resources.”
– Business Events Council Australia, 2011
Business events are generally made up of meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions.
- Meetings: Meetings and Events Australia (MEA) has characterised meetings as comprising of:
- off-site gatherings in a commercial venue;
- more than 15 persons; and
- with a common purpose.
- Incentives: These refer to programs which are attended by ‘high achievers' to recognise and further motivate participants for their performance within the organisation (TA, 2005). Incentives are also used to introduce new products and services to key players.
- Conventions: Also referred to as conferences, conventions are a large assembly of participants, often several thousand, with many international visitors. Most conventions will have some form of exhibition attached.
- Exhibitions: Exhibition events are the gathering of suppliers to display their product and services for trade and public exhibition purposes (Deery et al, 2005, p 59).
SARAWAK BUSINESS EVENTS ASSOCIATION, together with her Members, work closely with all elements of the government, corporate and community to enable the progressive growth of an exciting and rapidly developing industry.