The SBF is an umbrella body which represents key organizations and industries in Sarawak with the main objectives to promote business, protect the interest of the business community in the State and to speak with a united voice on all matters that affect the business community.
The founding members of SBF are :
- Sarawak Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SCCI)
- Dewan Usahawan Bumiputera Sarawak (DUBS)
- The Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry (ACCCIS)
- Dayak Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI)
- Sarawak Housing & Real Estate Developers’ Association (SHEDA)
- Sarawak Oil Palm Plantation Owners Association (SOPPOA)
- Sarawak Electrical Association (SEA)
- Persatuan Pengimport and Peniaga Kenderaan Melayu Malaysia (PEKEMA)
- Malaysian Inbound Tourism Association (MITA)
- Sarawak Entrepreneur Association (SEA)
- Kuching Computer Business Association (KCBA)
Despite global economic crisis, Sarawak has maintained a steady growth over the past few years. To maintain such growth, SBF will strive to support the State Government with one united voice, in its drive for greater economic autonomy within Malaysia. SBF will seek representation in boards of government bodies in the Federal government, and ensure that its appointees will speak for all Sarawak Business instead of individual associations.
According to SCCI President Datuk Abang Hj Abdul Karim Tun Abang Hi Openg, the SBF marks an important milestone in the achievement of the business community in Sarawak. “The idea of a joint federation first came about in 2007. We see it as our duty to assume community leadership to revive this effort, so the idea was reignited again earlier this year. SCCI believes that with SBF, resources will be effectively pooled to fund research and matters important to the whole business community in Sarawak” said Datuk Abang Hj Abdul Karim.
By the formation and launching of SBF, it will enhance the growth of the Sarawak economy, mentor young entrepreneurs and businesses and to set Sarawak as a State of distinction, quality and innovation.